What if just for today we were grateful for everything!!!
H. Emilie Cady the author of Lessons in Truth has a wonderful quote about how gratitude
"There is something about the mental act of thanksgiving that seems to carry the human mind far beyond the region of doubt into the clear atmosphere of faith and trust, where "all things are possible."" ~ H. Emilie Cady.
When we have a grateful heart, “all things are possible”
Matthew 19:26 New International Version
26 “…With God all things are possible.”
That’s a comforting thought, isn’t it?!
It’s so important to make gratitude a part of our daily lives—not just during a special holiday, but all year long. How much better our lives are when we choose to have thankful hearts regardless of outward appearances.
When we replace complaining with thanksgiving and consciously look for things to be grateful for each day, when we look for the blessings in each and every person including ourselves, just think how our lives would change for the better.
How wonderful to create an experience of a grateful heart
John F Kennedy has a wonderful quote: "As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words but to live by them." John F. Kennedy
Here are some ways to show that we live with a grateful heart
- Be thankful for little things.
- If we truly look, we can find a host of things to be grateful for, sunshine, a phone call from a friend, a smile. It may seem like a little thing, but, Sunday at church my daughter Ellie made a drawing of what she is grateful for. It really felt good that she drew a picture of me and said how grateful she is that I’m her mom.
- Be thankful for the beauty of nature
- Maybe it’s because I’m getting older, but I find myself so much more awed by nature than I used to be - a breathtaking sunset, a walk on the beach, and the freshness after a rain.
- Be thankful for the good around you
- Too many times we only hear about the bad things going on in the world. When we look for the good around us it heightens our awareness and we live life from a higher spiritual plane. Be determined to find the good.
- Be thankful with words
- Practice saying please and thank you. Say thank you to your family, your friends, and your co-workers. Words of appreciation are so important to those who receive our thanks and it feels so good to express appreciation. Gratitude and appreciation is a way of life. It teaches us to live in the now and to treasure and cherish each and every moment.
As we express our appreciation and gratitude, we open ourselves up to the full expression of the Christ presence. This is how we truly live life with a loving grateful, heart.
Karla Lightner, C.S.E.